This light and tangy soup, courtesy of the Bring Your Lunch! cookbook, is as close to instant as homemade food gets. It is the perfect use for your homemade chicken broth or any lingering partial containers of broth you may have. Since it’s so simple, ingredient quality is key here — and better broth means better soup.
To make your own Italian seasoning, stir together equal parts dried thyme, marjoram, basil, rosemary, and oregano. If you only have a couple of these herbs on hand, that will work fine for the soup.
This can be made the night before. Keep (chilled) in single portions in microwave-safe, leak-proof glass containers. It can also be heated on the stovetop and transported in an insulated food jar.
- 1½ Tablespoon chicken broth (homemade, or good-quality store-bought)
- 1 Cup cooked short pasta (such as egg noodles, bow ties, or fusilli)
- 3 Tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 Teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Pinch of Italian seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
Combine all of the ingredients in a microwave-safe, leak-proof glass container. Microwave the soup until hot, about 2 minutes.