Easy Grilled Oysters on the Half Shell
Fresh Grilled Oysters on the Half Shell.
- 16 fresh oysters oysters
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped finely
1. Add butter and oil to pan.
2. Heat over medium heat until butter is melted.
3. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
4. Remove from heat.
5. Add lemon juice, hot sauce and herbs.
6. Heat outdoor gas grill to medium heat.
7. Place unopened oysters on grill, being careful not to overcrowd them.
8. Grill oysters until they begin to open.
9. As soon as each oyster begins to open, remove from grill and use an oyster knife to finish prying the shell completely apart into two sections (this should be much more easily accomplished now with them partly open). Use a glove to kitchen glove to hold the shells, as they can be quite hot.
10. Use knife to separate the oyster meat from the shell – set aside oyster meat in a bowl.
11. Set aside the “top” of the oyster shell – the bottom, where the oyster meat is connected to the shell tend to be flatter, while the top is more concave, forming a shallow “bowl” when placed upside down.
12. Discard any unopened oysters
13. For the final grilling, lay out the tops of the shell on a cookie sheet, and place an oyster in each one.
14. Disperse half of the oyster sauce onto the oysters
15. Carefully transfer the shells back to the grill on high heat, making sure not to spill the sauce.
16. Add remainder of sauce
17. Don't be afraid of flame ups – this will help char the outside of the shells and add the smokey flavor.
18. When sauce is bubbling in the shells, remove from grill.
19. Serve immediately, with a side of bread for dipping.