- 1 (16-ounce) sourdough baguette, sliced diagonally into 24 pieces
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- 5 Teaspoons harissa
- 1 Teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cured chorizo sausages, about 4 ounces, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 fennel bulb, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 Teaspoon dried basil
- 1 Teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Cups dry red wine
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 Cups clam juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Pounds cockles, scrubbed
- 1 Pound sea scallops
- 1 Pound peeled and deveined 16-20 shrimp
- 1 1/2 Pound halibut fillet, cut into 2-inch pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. For the toasts, arrange baguette slices on a large nonstick baking sheet in a single layer, bake, turning once, until toasted, 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise, harissa and zest in a bowl.
3. For the Cioppino, heat the oil in an Anolon Vesta enameled 7-quart round casserole over medium heat. Add the garlic, chorizo, onion, celery, bell pepper, fennel, basil, paprika and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are crisp-tender, about 6-7 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high and stir in the wine and tomato paste. Bring mixture to a boil and cook until the wine reduces by about 2/3, 8-10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, clam juice and salt; return to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
4. Increase the heat to medium, add the cockles and cook until starting to open, about 6-7 minutes. Transfer clams to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Add the scallops, shrimp and halibut to the casserole, cover and simmer until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Gently stir in the clams and cook until heated through, 3-4 minutes.
5. To serve, ladle the Cioppino into 8 serving bowls and top each with 3 toasts spread with some of the harissa mixture.