This is the easiest beef stew ever because you just toss everything straight into the slow cooker. You can definitely sauté the garlic and onions beforehand, but they’ll flavor the stew regardless. You can also sear the meat before cooking, but it doesn’t hold the juice in, as the common cooking myth would have you believe.
- 2 large russet potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 Pounds beef stew meat, cubed
- 1 10-ounce container white button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 Cups whole peeled tomatoes with their juices, crushed
- 2 Cups red wine
- 1 Teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ Teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Spread the potatoes out at the bottom of the slow cooker. Then layer in the onions, garlic, carrots, meat, and mushrooms. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and wine. Sprinkle in the oregano, red pepper flakes, and some salt and pepper.
Cook on Low for 6 hours. Serve while hot.