- 5 perfect spoonfuls of Ginger Beer tea
- 1 1/2 Cup water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 400 Grams firm tofu, drained and wrapped in paper towel
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Cup sliced shitake mushrooms
- 4 Cups vegetable broth
- 4 Tablespoons dark soy sauce or two tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- Star anise
- Chile paste
- 250 Grams rice, udon or egg noodles, prepared using instructions on package
- 1 Cup spinach, chopped
- White pepper, garnish
- Coriander, chopped, garnish
Brew tea in 1 ½ cups boiling water for 10 minutes and then strain.
In a non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Press tofu lightly between the paper towel to get rid of excess liquid. Fry in oil over medium-high heat until well browned, about 8-10 minutes per side.
In a large stock pot, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Sauté red pepper for about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté for 4 minutes. Add vegetable broth, brewed tea, soy sauce, fish sauce, star anise, and chile paste and simmer for 15-20 minutes on medium-low heat.
Add tofu, noodles, and spinach. Let simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve in bowls, garnished with white pepper and fresh coriander.