- ½ pound unsalted butter
- ¼ pound all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ ounces South Shore Seasoning
- ½ pound Spanish onion, ¼-inch dice
- ¼ pound celery, ¼-inch dice
- ¼ pound red peppers, ¼-inch dice
- 1 ½ ounces granulated sugar
- 1 cup white wine
- 7 ¼ cups lobster or vegetable stock
- ½ cup sherry wine
- 1 ounce crab base
- 1 quart heavy cream (36% fat)
- 2 ½ pounds rock crab
- Sweet smoked paprika, as needed
In a large sauté pan melt ¼ pound butter and mix in flour until incorporated. Cook on low flame until it starts to look like wet sand and gives off a nutty smell. Remove from heat and save.
In a large sauté pan add the South Shore Seasoning and place on high heat. Stir seasoning for about 2 minutes until it is lightly toasted and fragrant. Remove from heat and save.
In a large stock pot melt remaining butter and add onions. Sauté onions until translucent, then add celery and red peppers. Sauté for 1 minute and fold in the butter-flour mixture, toasted South Shore Seasoning, and sugar. Heat for 1 minute then add white wine. Stir and mix ingredients together, starting to dissolve butter-flour mixture. Add lobster stock, sherry, and crab base. Stir to incorporate well. Let simmer for 30-45 minutes.
In a separate pot, combine the heavy cream and brie, heating until brie is melted and whisked together, and then add to the large pot. Mix well. Remove from heat and fold in crab meat. Serve and garnish with smoked paprika.