- 2 pounds cornbread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces pancetta, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 -4 leaves fresh sage, chifonnade
- 3 eggs
- 1-3 cup chicken broth (depending on dryness of the bread)
- 12 tablespoons butter
Preheat the oven to 350-400 degrees.
Place the cornbread in the oven until slightly toasted. Allow to cool. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the pancetta until slightly browned, but not crispy; remove and drain. Transfer to a bowl.
Add the onion, celery, salt, and pepper and cook over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool slightly. Add all dry ingredients to the bowl with the pancetta and toss. Whisk in the eggs and mix carefully; do not allow the cornbread to break apart. Add just enough broth to moisten and place in well-buttered muffin tins. Dollop each muffin with 1 tablespoon of butter.