Cheese Fondue With Chipotle and Tequila
Not only do I adore tequila on its own or in cocktails, I also love cooking with it — its unusual flavor pairs beautifully with so many foods!
Here I’ve created a new-world version of the classic Swiss fondue. The tequila adds a wonderful dimension to this truly scrumptious fondue and the chipotle lends a hint of smokiness to it.
Say cheese and take a bite!
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup tequila reposado or mezcal
- 1 Cup dry white wine
- 8 Ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated coarsely
- 12 Ounces aged Fontina cheese, grated coarsely
- 2 -3 teaspoons canned chipotle chiles en adobo, puréed
- 1/4 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1 sourdough or whole-wheat baguette, cut into ½-inch cubes
Combine the cornstarch and tequila in a small bowl. Set aside. Heat the wine in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat. As soon as the wine starts to simmer, gradually add the grated cheese and whisk constantly until completely melted and smooth.
Reduce heat to medium and add the cornstarch-tequila mixture, chipotle chiles, and salt. Continue to whisk for 1-2 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
Place the cheese mixture in a fondue bowl with a flame under it to keep it warm. Serve with long fondue forks and the bread cubes or other morsels of your choice.