Recipe from Eat Right for Your Sight: Simple Tasty Recipes That Help Reduce the Risk of Vision Loss from Macular Degeneration, By Jennifer Trainer Thompson and Johanna M. Seddon, copyright © American Macular Degeneration Foundation, 2014. Photo courtesy Jason Houston. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Pound large carrots, peeled and cut into one-inch pieces (about two and a half cups)
- 2 1/2 Cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 Teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 Cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons toasted cumin seeds, for garnish
In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté the onion for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté an additional minute. Add the carrots, broth, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
Purée the soup with an immersion blender or, working in batches, purée in a blender or food processor until smooth, then return it to the saucepan. Whisk in the lemon juice and yogurt. Season to taste. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with the cumin seeds.