- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Kilogram lamb leg, cubed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Cups potato, cubed
- 2 carrots, cubed
- 1 thumb sized fresh ginger, freshly grated
- 2.5 Tablespoons Cumin
- 2.5 Tablespoons Garam Masala
- 1 Tablespoon coriander
- 1 Teaspoon tumeric
- 2 Tablespoons Curry powder
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 4 tomatoes, crushed or grated
- 2 Cups beef stock
- 2 Tablespoons crème fraiche or unflavored yogurt
- Fresh Cilantro (Coriander) for Garnish
1. Generously salt and pepper the lamb cubes.
2. Brown lamb over medium/high heat in 1 Tbs of oil (about 3 minutes).
3. Remove lamb from pan.
4. Lower heat to medium.
5. Add 1 Tbs of oil to pan.
6. Add onions, and cook at medium until soft.
7. Add garlic, carrots, and potatoes, and all the spices.
8. Stir pan so everything is coated with spice mixture.
9. Cook for 3 minutes.
10. Add tomato and beef stock.
11. Mix thoroughly, then over and reduce heat to a simmer.
12. Cook until lamb is soft and fork tender (approximately 2 hours).
13. Remove from heat.
14. Stir in crème fraiche or yogurt, garnish with cilantro and serve with rice.