Calabacitas Con Queso
This simple side dish of zucchini cooked with garlic, tomato, and scallion, topped with queso blanco cheese, is a delicious accompaniment to just about any Mexican-inspired meal. I put my own spin on it with a zippy Cilantro-Cotija Pesto.
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped very finely
- 1 Pound zucchini, cut into large dice
- 1 large tomato, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1 scallion, sliced thinly
- 1 Tablespoon Cilantro-Cotija Pesto
- 1/2 Cup crumbled queso blanco, preferably Cacique
- Freshly squeezed lime juice, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Put the olive oil and garlic in a large skillet and place over medium heat. Once the garlic begins to sizzle, cook, stirring for 1 minute so the oil gets some of that garlic flavor. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini has softened slightly, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato and scallion and cook until the tomato begins to break down, about 5 minutes.
Take the skillet off the heat and stir in the Cilantro-Cotjia Pesto and queso blanco until the cheese starts to melt. Season with lime juice, salt, and pepper, to taste, and serve.