- One 2- to 3-pound butternut squash, seeded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Sprig of thyme, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Place the squash in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Once the squash has cooked it should be soft to the touch. Remove from the oven and let cool.
In a large pot melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook for about 8 minutes. Scoop out the flesh from the squash and add to the onion mixture.
Add the stock and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat, and carefully blend with an immersion blender to desired consistency. Add the nutmeg, stir, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with sprigs of thyme and serve.