Buffalo White Bean Chili With Vegetarian Sausage
Super Bowl Sunday is a day of indulgence. While the carnivores and omnivores among us dig into chicken wings, pepperoni pizza, and hamburgers, you can’t forget the vegetarians. This chili is a great meat-free option for your buffet, packing endless amounts of Buffalo flavor without any guilt.
This recipe is courtesy of Foodness Gracious.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery sticks, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Teaspoon paprika
- 2 Teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 Teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 8 Cups vegetable stock
- 1 28-ounce can of tomatoes, no juice
- 2 15-ounce cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 Cup Buffalo sauce, preferably Frank's Buffalo sauce
- 1 pack vegetarian-friendly sausages, preferably Lightlife Chorizo Smart Sausages
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Rice, optional
- Shredded cheese, optional
In a large deep 10–12 cup pot over a medium heat, heat the oil.
Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and cook until soft, about 7 minutes.
Mix in the spices and Dijon mustard. Add the stock and mix well.
Take the tomatoes from the can leaving the juice behind and carefully squeeze them with your hand. Add to the pot and bring to a simmer.
Empty the beans into a colander and rinse with cold water.
Add the beans and the Buffalo sauce to the pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
Slice the sausages into chunks and add to the pot.
Simmer for 5 more minutes.
Taste and season with salt and cracked black pepper.
Serve in small bowls with rice, shredded cheese and plenty of fresh chopped parsley.