Broccoli Rabe Pesto
Google recently released its annual Year in Search list, which included the top 10 most searched recipes of 2015. The list is as follows:
- Pumpkin Seed Recipes
- Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
- Philly Cheese Steak Recipe
- Chicken Recipes
- Apple Pie Recipe
- Brownie Recipe
- Pesto Recipe
- Pancake Recipe
- Cabbage Recipes
- Chili Recipe
This is a delicious dish featuring broccoli rabe and one of the top 10 foods on Google’s Year in Search list: pesto.
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt, for cooking water
- 1/4 Cup good extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for dressing
- 1/3 Cup blanched, slivered almonds, lightly toasted (optional)
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced or shaved
- Big pinch hot red pepper flakes, or to taste (optional)
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 Cup freshly grated aged and tangy Italian sheep cheese, such as Pecorino, plus additional for sprinkling at the table
Fill a pot with enough water to cover the greens and bring to a rolling boil.
Meanwhile, if using bunch of broccoli rabe, trim off any discolored tips from the bottom and use a paring knife to peel the skin off the thicker stems. Sever all the stems from the crowns. Wash the greens in abundant cold water. Use pre-washed bagged broccoli rabe as is.
To the boiling water, add the kosher salt and the 3 tablespoons olive oil, followed by the broccoli rabe. Cook over high heat until the greens are tender but firm, a total of 8 minutes.
Use a mesh strainer to lift the greens out of the pot and transfer them to a colander; save the cooking water. Drain well, pressing to release excess water. They should be moist but not wet.
Coarsely grind the almonds, if using; the garlic; and pepper flakes, if using, in a food processor, 10-15 seconds.
Add the drained broccoli rabe and 1/4 cup olive oil; pulse to purée until the greens are creamy but still have some texture. Check for salt. Transfer the pesto to a bowl and while it is still warm, fold in the grated cheese.