- 2 Tablespoons olive oil for frying
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pork cheeks excess fat trimmed and cut in half
- 1 Tablespoon flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 Cup dry red wine
- 2 Cups beef stock
1. Heat 1 - 2 tbsp olive oil in a large pan then add the onion.
2. Cook gently for 10 – 15 minutes until softened and lighty coloured. Remove and set aside.
3. Toss the cheeks in the seasoned flour. Add a little more oil to the pan and turn up the heat.
4. Brown the pork cheeks all over in batches, setting them aside when browned. Turn the heat down to medium.
5. Return all the pork and the onions to the pan. Add the garlic, cumin and paprika and cinnamon, and cook for a minute.
6. Pour in the wine. Use your spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan.
7. Pour in the beef stock then bring the pan to a simmer.
8. Simmer gently for 2 hours or until the cheeks are tender.