Big Blue Burgers with Cherry Mustard
Give summer a bang of flavor with grilled beef burgers topped with cherry-spiked Dijon mustard, grilled sweet onions, and tangy blue cheese.
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped pitted fresh cherries (about 8)
- 6 Tablespoons whole-grain or Dijon mustard
- 2 Teaspoons canola oil, preferably expeller-pressed
- 1 red onion, sliced thickly, rounds intact
- Four 1/3-pound beef patties
- 1/2 Teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted on the grill
- 4 Bibb or romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/2 Cup blue cheese crumbles
Preheat a grill on medium-high heat.
Combine the cherries and mustard in a bowl and set aside. Brush the oil on the onion slices and then season the patties and onion with the salt and pepper.
Grill all, flipping once, until the onions are tender and burgers are cooked to your liking, about 10 minutes. Spread the mustard on the heels of the buns. Top with the lettuce, onions, patties, and blue cheese. Top with the crowns of the buns and serve.