- 3 1/2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Cups chopped sweet onion (2 onions)
- 2 Pounds ground turkey
- 1 Cup chicken or beef stock
- 1/2 Cup good red wine
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, or plum tomatoes in purée, chopped
- 2 12-ounce jars roasted red bell peppers (drained, puréed)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 heads of roasted garlic
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon chile flakes
Heat oven to 400 degrees, cut tops of garlic, drizzle with olive oil, wrap with foil, and roast 45 minutes. Heat the olive oil in a large pot, add butter.
Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the ground turkey
and cook until brown; drain excess water and fat.
Add the wine and cook on high heat, scraping up all the brown bits in the pan, until almost all the liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Add chicken or beef
stock, and let simmer for 7 minutes.
Stir in the tomato purée, puréed peppers, roasted garlic, parsley, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and chile flakes.
Cover, and simmer on the lowest heat for 25 minutes.