- Pastry for a 9-inch double-crust pie
- 2 tablespoons ginger cookies or graham cracker crumbs
- 4 cups apples, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups Italian plums, pitted and sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, softened and cut into small pieces
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Roll out the pie pastry for the bottom crust in a deep-dish glass pie plate. Sprinkle the ground ginger cookies or graham crackers on the bottom evenly. (This helps prevent the bottom crust from getting soggy.)
In a large bowl, combine the apples, plums, flour, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and rum. Mix until combined and all of the fruit is coated. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pie crust. Top the fruit evenly with the butter.
Roll out the top crust and cover the fruit. Seal the edges and crimp the rim as desired. Place the pie on a sheet pan to catch the drippings. (Line the sheet pan with aluminum foil for an easier clean up.) Bake the pie for 1 hour, 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling and soft. Check on the pie occasionally. If the crust starts to get too brown, lay a piece of aluminum foil on top.
Remove from the oven, and serve.