- 32 very large chicken drumsticks, or 2-joint segments that have been separated
- 1/3 Cup sake
- 1/3 Cup water
- 4 large, thin slices fresh ginger
- 1/3 Cup soy sauce
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 dried hot chile
- 4 Tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 star anise buds
- Scallions, for garnish
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
Place a 14-inch no-stick sauté pan over high heat.
Add the chicken and dry-sear to brown it.
Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
Cook, covered, for about 5 minutes.
Uncover, and simmer until pan is almost dry, tossing frequently to coat wings.
Skim off fat if you like and serve, garnishing with scallion shavings and sesame seeds.