African Sweet Potato Stew
I created this excellent recipe when I was desperate to add a vegetarian dish to our Easter menu. Even the nonvegetarians loved it!—Phyllis Good, author of Stock the Crock
101 Best Slow Cooker recipes here.
Freeze any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- 5 Cups peeled, chopped sweet potatoes
- 3 Cups sliced (or halved, if small) fresh white mushrooms
- 1 1/2 Cup small cubes of fresh pineapple
- 3/4 Cups uncooked green lentils
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 Teaspoons curry powder
- 1 Teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced, or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 Cups vegetable broth
- 1 Cup chopped fresh spinach leaves, lightly packed
- 1/4 Cup peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/3 Cup chopped peanuts, for garnish
Grease the interior of the slow cooker crock with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine the sweet potatoes and next 10 ingredients (through broth) in the prepared crock and mix well.
Cover. Cook on Low 3 to 4 1⁄2 hours, or until the sweet potatoes, lentils, and onions are tender.
Add the chopped spinach leaves, peanut butter, and lime juice. Stir well. Cook just until heated through.
Serve in bowls. Top with chopped peanuts.
Excerpted from Stock the Crock by Phyllis Good. Copyright © 2017 Oxmoor House.