Seafood fanatics will adore this recipe. This sandwich takes juicy crab meat and pickled vegetables, tosses them in a mayo-based mixture, and puts the deliciousness inside a gougere roll. It's a perfect sandwich to chow down on during dinner, at a picnic or on game day.
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup whole milk
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 Teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 Ounces shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 Cup julienned peeled daikon radish
- 1 Cup julienned carrots
- 1 Cup julienned seeded cucumber
- 1/4 Cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 Cups cooked Alaskan King crab meat
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Stalk of green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Medium jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 Cup loosely packed fresh cilantro sprigs
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Line a large baking pan with parchment paper.
Bring water, milk, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium pan over medium heat.
Lower heat; add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until mixture comes together, dries out and pulls away from sides of the pan.
Remove from heat and cool until warm.
Add eggs about one at a time; beat until well incorporated and the mixture becomes a smooth batter.
Fold in cheese.
Spoon batter into a pastry bag; pipe into four (about 6 inches long and 1.5 inches in diameter) logs, 2 inches apart on the prepared baking pan.
Bake for 12 minutes.
Lower oven temperature to 350°F; continue baking until gougeres are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped, about 20-25 minutes more.
Cool gougeres completely; slice in half lengthwise.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss radish, carrots, cucumber, vinegar, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Chill for at least 30 minutes.
In another bowl, mix together mayonnaise and mustard.
Stir in crab meat and green onion.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Stuff bottom gougere halves with crab mixture and pickled vegetables.
Garnish with jalapeno slices and cilantro sprigs.
Place remaining gougere halves on top.