- 1 pound sweet onions, peeled and sliced into rounds ¾-inch thick
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt or kosher salt, to taste
- ¾ pound red bliss potatoes
- ½ pound green beans, ends trimmed off
- ½ pound fresh tomatoes, seeded and sliced into 1-inch wide wedges
- ½ cup black olives, pitted
- 3 tablespoons small capers, drained
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, leaves removed and cleaned
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Brush both sides of the onion rounds with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season lightly with salt. Lay the onions on a baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes, turning once, until they are softened and nicely caramelized on the edges of the rounds.
Cover the potatoes with water in a large pot and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for about 10 minutes or until a sharp knife can easily slide through the potatoes. Cool and cut into 1 ½-inch wedges. Keep boiling the water for the green beans.
Prepare an ice bath. Cook the beans for about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beans to the ice bath. Once chilled, cut the beans into 2-inch segments.
In a large mixing bowl, combine onion, potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, olives, and capers. Add the remaining olive oil to the bowl with the red wine vinegar and black pepper. Toss to evenly coat the vegetables. Add the lettuce and toss again before serving.