- 2 Pounds beef round steak, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon tomato sacue
- 1 Tablespoon achiote
- 10-12 pimento-stuffed olives
- 1 Tablespoon capers
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Pound Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
Wash meat and pat dry with paper towels.
In a Dutch oven or heavy kettle, heat the oil, add beef chunks, onion, bell pepper, oregano, garlic, and stir-fry over moderate heat until meat is brown. Add the salt, tomato sauce, achiote, olives, capers, and bay leaf. Mix and cook for 5 minutes. Add the water, bring to a rapid boil, cover, and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Add the potatoes, stir to combine, and bring to a rapid boil. Cover and simmer for another 30 minutes.
Serve over steamed white or yellow rice.