This sauce is really creamy and adds a nice boost of protein to an otherwise very high-carb dish. I love dipping fresh toasted bread in it and also jazzing my pasta dish up with peas and broccoli. Also, try adding fresh tomatoes over the top in the summer for a nice, refreshing pasta dish.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups whole-wheat or brown rice pasta
- 12 ounces silken tofu
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash of cayenne or hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon vegan Parmesan
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, in the bowl of a food processor, blend the tofu with the nondairy milk, nutmeg, garlic powder, onion powder, and a light dash of cayenne or hot sauce, if using, until smooth and creamy. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and whisk in the nutritional yeast, flour, and vegan Parmesan.
Cook over medium heat and allow to thicken. Season with salt and pepper and adjust the other seasonings, to taste. Toss with the pasta and serve immediately.