Obama-Masked Robber Hit McDonald's, and More
The Daily Byte's Weekly Media Mix rounds up the week's big food stories.
• Landry's Inc. is clear to acquire Morton's Restaurant Group for $116.6 million. [NRN]
Shame of the Week
• A man wearing a Barack Obama mask stole $1,000 from a Florida McDonald's. Obama masks — becoming the next Guy Fawkes? [Daily Mail]
• Apparently carrot consumption jumps 25 percent on Super Bowl Sunday, compared to regular, boring Sundays. [WSJ]
• A Minnesota company is recalling eggs in 34 states because of possible listeria contamination. The brands affected are: Columbia Valley Farms, GFS, Glenview Farms, Papetti's, Silverbrook, and Wholesome Farms. [AP]
• An agoraphobic's collection of 4,500 menus has been donated to the Smithsonian museum. [The Atlantic]
• A new study shows that a daily diet soda could increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes. [Food Navigator]
• Kobayashi ate 337 wings in 30 minutes, beating the 255-wing record last year at Wing Bowl XX. He won $20,000. [AP]
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.