NRA responds to reports, allegations of Cain misconduct

Staff Writer
duplicate

Editor's Note: A previous version of this story has been updated to include the correct years of Herman Cain's tenure at the NRA.

The National Restaurant Association did not add further details when contacted Monday surrounding allegations that former NRA president and current U.S. presidential candidate Herman Cain had been accused of sexual harassment during his tenure there.

“The incidents in question relate to personnel matters that allegedly took place nearly 15 years ago,” said Sue Hensley, senior vice president of public affairs communications for the NRA. “Consistent with our longstanding policy, we don’t comment on personnel issues relating to current or former employees.”

Politico, a news organization that covers national politics, on Sunday charged that two female employees of the NRA had claimed that Cain had sexually harassed them when he led the Washington, D.C.-based trade group in the late 1990s. The story said the two women left the NRA after they received “separation packages that were in the five-figure range.”

Cain has since admitted that he had been accused of inappropriate behavior while at the NRA, but that the charges were false.

“Yes, I was falsely accused while I was at the National Restaurant Association,” he told Fox News. “And, I say falsely because it turned out, after the investigation, to be baseless.

"I have never sexually harassed anyone."

A call to Cain’s campaign office had not be returned at press time.

Cain, the former chief executive of Godfather’s Pizza in Omaha, Neb., was volunteer chairman of the NRA in 1994. He left Godfather’s in 1996 to lead the association full time until 1999.

The National Restaurant Association, which was founded in 1919, represents the U.S. foodservice industry, encompassing 960,000 outlets and a workforce of nearly 13 million employees.

Contact Paul Frumkin at paul.frumkin@penton.com.

Around the Web