Young children are known to try to put things in their mouth that they are not supposed to. They might suck their thumb, bite their nails, or just try to lick stuff off of their hands and fingers. Kid Licks wanted to make sure that not everything kids put in their mouth was unhealthy, so they created an edible nail polish made of out of organic food.
Nail polish is filled with toxic chemicals like dibutyl phthalate (DBP), toluene, and formaldehyde. Even though some brands say that they are “toxic-free,” it’s still unhealthy — especially for young kids.
Kid Licks nail polish is available in three colors — red, green, and orange. The red color is made with beets, green contains barley grass, and the orange is made of carrots. All nail polishes are also made with water, acacia (a tree species), cornstarch, and citric acid. Each polish isvegan, organic, non-GMO, and cruelty-free. A bottle costs $13.99 and a three-pack for all colors is $34.99, which is comparable to higher-end nail polishes that are free from DBP, toluene, and formaldehyde.
The polishes also take about five minutes to dry to the touch and wash off with water, so they are not as long-lasting as regular nail polish. Bottles need to be refrigerated after opening and last for about two months before they go bad.