- 1 Pound portabello mushroom
- 1 Pound cremini or button mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon Marsala wine (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped onion
- 4 Cups organic mushroom or vegetable stock
Remove stems from portabello and crimini or button mushrooms. Place stems and mushroom stock in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain and set aside.
Finely chop portabello cap and set aside. Thinly slice cremini or button mushrooms. Place 3 tbsp. butter in a large saute pan over medium heat; add onion and cook until translcent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add chopped and sliced mushrooms and cook until mushroms are soft and browned. Add Marsala, if using, and cook, stirring to loosen any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Remove from ehat and set aside.
Place remaining tablespoon butter and flour in a medium saucepan over medium heat; cook until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Slowly whisk in stock and bring to a boil whisking unti thickened. Add reserved mushroom mixture and thyme.