Our Group 244 C had a Potluck party recently --- and we feasted on pulled pork, bloomin' onion bread, meatballs with sauerkraut, chips n' dips....and the best of 'em all was my friend Pedro's Mexican Lasagna. Layers of soft, spongy corn tortillas in between salsa-flavored ground beef and beans, topped with guacamole and sour cream...it's yummy, filling, tastilicious and "hallelujah" awesomeness. Pedro, oh Pedro, you make me want to do this dish every weekend. Pedro gave me tips on this lasagna creation: cut edges of round corn tortillas to form squares (easy to layer them in a rectangular 13 x 9 Pyrex dish), and sprinkle grated cheeses on tortillas before adding filling mixtures of ground beef, salsa and beans. Pedro added it is okay to do this with good hearthy chili for the filling.
- 2 Pounds ground beef, cooked until brown and drained well
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can (16 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 can (16 oz) chili beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 can (29 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 jar medium salsa (about 2 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt, black pepper, sugar to taste
- corn tortillas, trimmed
- shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/2 block of cream cheese, sliced
- Iceberg Lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, green onion and sour cream for toppings/sides
Preheat oven to 375 F. Saute cooked ground beef with green pepper, onion and garlic. Add beans, tomato sauce, salsa, and seasonings; simmer for 15 minutes. Spoon small amount of meat mixture into 9x13 pan and spread to coat bottom of pan. Top with tortillas, sprinkle cheese over, and cover with half of meat mixture. Place another layer of tortillas, cheese and meat mixture. Cover tightly with foil. Repeat layers with another rectangular pan (I use the store-bought disposable foil pans). Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil; top with more shredded cheese and bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, green onion, guacamole and sour cream.
makes 2 rectangular pans, one for potluck party, and one for your family to enjoy too!