Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: About 20 minutes
8 pieces of matzo
2 sticks butter
2 cups light brown sugar
½ cup heavy cream
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I like Ghiradelli’s 60% cacao bar)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lay the matzo on baking sheets.
2. Put the butter in a skillet and melt on medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the brown sugar.
3. When the brown sugar is well incorporated, whisk in the heavy cream. Let the mixture come almost to a boil, stirring it constantly. It will thicken and turn a dark caramel-y color. Turn the heat off once boiling.
4. Spoon the caramel over the matzo in a generous layer. Sprinkle each piece with chocolate chips. Bake in the oven for five minutes, until the chocolate is melted.
5. Once melted, remove from the oven. Use a knife to swirl the melted chocolate over the caramel.
6. Place in the freezer for at least an hour, until cold an the thick sweet layer of caramel and chocolate is hardened.
7. When cooled, break into fragmented pieces. Keep covered in freezer until ready to serve.
Check out more good stuff from Spoon University here: