Man Charged with Felony for Stealing $1 Soda and More News
The Daily Meal's Media Mix brings you the biggest news around the food world.
• Felony Arrest for Theft of $1 Soda: A Florida man was charged with a felony after stealing a $1 soda from McDonald's, said local news reports. He allegedly refused to pay for the drink and cursed at the manager; because he had had prior arrests, the misdemeanor charge was elevated to a felony. [ABC]
• GM Labeling Bill Gains Support: The Genetically Engineered Food Labeling Initiative in California has worked to get a labeling bill on the ballot in November, and reached 850,000 signatures on its petition. [LAist]
• Starbucks Moves Into Disney Parks: Disneyland and Disneyworld patrons can get their caffeine fix; the coffee giant signed a deal to open six stores within the parks. [USA Today]
• Food Stamp Usage Increases: In the past four years, the number of people using food stamps increased by 70 percent; the Congressional Budget Office expects the number to rise until 2014. [Christian Post]
• EU CrackDown on British Winery's "Malbec": One collaboration between a British winery and Argentinian growers of the malbec grapes has sparked a debate surrounding EU wine producing and labeling. [NPR/Salt]