Lemon Chicken Soup with Dumplings
This soup is chock-full of spring. Fresh carrots, plump and flavorful dumplings, and a bright finishing note of lemon juice make it refreshing and seasonal.
- 2 pounds chicken bones, such as necks and bones
- 2 large carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, halved
- 12 Cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 Teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2/3 Tablespoons matzoh meal
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 Teaspoons canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons sparkling water
- 2 Teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1/2 Pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon chopped dill
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Arrange first 4 ingredients on a jelly-roll pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until browned.
Combine chicken bone mixture, 12 cups water, and bay leaf in a stockpot over high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer gently 2 hours, skimming fat and foam from surface occasionally. Strain stock through a fine sieve into a large bowl; discard solids. Skim fat from surface of stock; discard fat. Return stock to pan; stir in turmeric and ½ teaspoon salt.
Combine ¼ teaspoon salt, matzoh meal, and next 5 ingredients (through pepper). Lightly beat 2 eggs in a separate bowl. Add 2 eggs to matzoh mixture; stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes. With moist hands, shape mixture into 24 (1-inch) balls. Bring stock to a simmer (do not boil). Add dumplings to stock, and cook 15 minutes. Add chicken, and continue cooking 15 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove pan from heat. Remove chicken from stock, and let stand 5 minutes. Cut chicken into thin slices; return to pan. Remove 1 cup hot broth mixture. Lightly beat 1 egg in a medium bowl. Gradually add 1 cup hot broth mixture to egg, stirring constantly with a whisk. Slowly pour beaten egg mixture into pan, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in lemon juice, and sprinkle with dill.