- One 18-ounce package firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rectangular pieces
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 Teaspoon sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Korean red pepper flakes (gochugaru)
- 1 Teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 scallions, chopped finely
Pat the tofu dry with a paper towel. Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Carefully add the tofu pieces (tofu breaks easily) and sear until light golden brown, about 4-5 minutes on each side.
Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by mixing all of the remaining ingredients together. Spoon the sauce over the tofu pieces and around the sides of the pan. Simmer for 4-5 minutes over medium-low heat. Flip them over and simmer for 1-2 more minutes.