Italian Baked Mac & Cheese
When your guests arrive, simply take it out of oven to serve! For a special treat, allow the mac & cheese to cool for 5 minutes before drizzling with truffle oil.
- 1 Pound elbow macaroni
- 1 Cup mascarpone
- 6 Ounces white cheddar
- 6 Ounces Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 6 Ounces Pecorino Romano, coarsely grated
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter plus more for greasing baker
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 Cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ Cups light cream
- bay leaf & thyme leaf
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 375°F & butter Donatella’s ramekins or baker.
Cook pasta according to instructions less two minutes.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion & cook until softened. Sprinkle flour over the onion & stir constantly for 2 minutes. Add light cream, sprinkle thyme, salt & pepper to taste.
Increase heat & continue to stir. When liquid reaches a boil, reduce heat to low simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in pepper, nutmeg, & all cheeses until just melted. Stir in pasta & mix well.
Spoon mixture into ramekins or baker mounding slightly, bake for 15 minutes, until the cheese is quietly sizzling.