- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Pounds lean stewing beef, cubed
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 2 Tablespoons each: tomato paste, beef bouillon
- 2 Cups carrots, cut in chunks
- 1 Cup celery, cut in chunks
- 1/2 Pound button mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 1/4 Cup Guinness stout, about 1 bottle
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a heavy pot.
Season meat with the salt and pepper to taste.
Brown meat, in batches, on all sides; return all the meat to the pot.
Add water to just cover meat; cover pot.
Simmer until meat is tender, 1-2 hours; do not boil.
Skim off any foam.
Add onions, garlic, tomato paste and beef bouillon; heat to a boil.
Add carrots, celery, mushrooms, thyme and Guinness; simmer 1 hour.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
(The stew may be thickened with a flour-oil roux if desired.)