This recipe was adapted from the "On the Road" picnic menu created by Mercedes-Benz and James Beard Award-winning chef Daniel Humm of Eleven Madison Park. Inspired by the new 2013 SL Roadster, Humm’s menu offers a unique selection of innovative recipes to accompany drivers as they hit the open road.
- 10 Ounces buffalo mozzarella
- 2 large red heirloom tomatoes
- 2 large yellow heirloom tomatoes
- 2 large green heirloom tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon salt, plus extra to taste
- 1/2 Cup pine nuts
- 1/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 leaves basil
Gently cut the buffalo mozzarella and heirloom tomatoes into ½-inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the 1 1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil, the vinegar, and the 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Reserve 1/4 cup for the salad, and store and refrigerate the rest for later use.
In a sauté or frying pan over low heat, lightly toast the minced garlic and pine nuts in the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Continue to stir the garlic and nuts so that they toast evenly and do not burn. When done, remove from heat and pour into a glass mixing bowl immediately. Toss the pine nuts with the grated Parmesan cheese and a few pinches of sea salt. Add the pine nut mixture to the tomatoes and mozzarella and then toss with the white balsamic vinaigrette. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve.