This cake is perfect for Halloween because of the bold flavors and the cool look of the green, orange, and white colors inside. It is sure to delight all guests because the flavor profile is interesting and unique.
- Scull-shaped cookie cutter
- Various gel food color to color buttercream for decoration
- Small piping bag
- Piping tips
To assemble for best aesthetic look, cut cake into 4 layers and alternate fillings. Finish with buttercream. Dust with pistachio crumbs and decorate with candy corn and Halloween-themed sprinkles. For the more advanced decorators out there or those up for a challenge, make fondant Day of the Dead sculls (additional directions below for this).
Roll out fondant as thin as possible, cut out shape, and decorate using buttercream.
- 3/4 Cups unsalted shelled pistachios (approximately 4 ounces; not dyed red)
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup whole milk
- 1/4 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons finely grated orange zest (from 3 medium oranges)
- One package of pistachio Jell-O pudding mix
- 6 whole eggs
- 200 Grams sugar.
- 180 Grams cornstarch
- 1 Liter milk
- 1 Cup pumpkin purée
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 8 oz of whole chestnuts, peeled
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- Vanilla bean
- 1 cup whipping creams whip to soft peek
Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside including Jell-O mix.
In a mixer cream butter and add sugar. Add eggs 1 at a time until incorporated.
Alternating, add milk and dry ingredients.
Bake at 350 for 22 minutes. Check with skewer to see that it comes out clean.
Mix egg with sugar, add cornstarch, pumpkin and cinnamon. Bring milk to a boil, pour on mix, place back in the pan, and bring to a boil for 3 to 4 minutes, always stirring until thickened. Cool in refrigerator before using.
Boil milk sugar and chestnuts for 15 minutes. Don't burn the milk. Let soak in the hot milk for another 15 min to soften. Blend mixture till no lumps are present.
Let cool entirely.
Fold heavy cream in with mixture.