Gooey cheese melted between two slices of golden-brown bread, what could be wrong with that? I’ll give you a little hint: nothing.
The grilled cheese is like the king of sandwiches, marrying simplicity and comfort between two slices of crispy, bready heaven. But when your hands become tired from peeling off all of those Kraft Singles wrappers and white bread seems like a bore, where do you turn?
You turn to your Caprese salad for inspiration.
This grilled Caprese sandwich kicks your standard grilled cheese up a notch by adding fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and pesto. Using balsamic vinegar for dipping makes the whole thing a party in your mouth. Try it – you’ll be thanking me, and all Italians everywhere, later.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 1 sandwich
2 pieces bread of choice
2 slices fresh mozzarella, about ¼ inch thick (can buy pre-packaged mozzarella ball in cheese section of most grocery stores)
2 slices tomato, about ¼ inch thick
2 teaspoons basil pesto (store bought or homemade, following this simple recipe)
salt and pepper
1. Heat skillet to medium heat. Cover one side of each slice of bread with a thin layer of butter.
2. Flip slices over and spread one teaspoon of pesto on each slice.
3. Place one piece of bread, butter-side down, in pan.
4. Layer the two mozzarella slices and two tomato slice on top of bread.
5. Sprinkle tomato slices with salt and pepper.
6. Top with remaining piece of bread.
7. Cook sandwich for 2-3 minutes on each side or until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
Optional: drizzle sandwich with balsamic vinegar or use for dipping.