Little nuggets of blue cheese yield bursts of flavor that go nicely with the green tomatoes. Choose a fairly crumbly, assertive blue cheese with a slight bitterness and a good tang to balance it out. I used a lovely blue from Vermont.
See all pizza recipes.
- One 9-ounce ball frozen whole-wheat pizza dough, thawed
- All-purpose flour, for rolling the dough
- 3 Tablespoons tomato sauce*
- Four 1/4-inch-thick slices unsalted mozzarella
- Four 1/4-inch-thick slices green tomato
- 1 Tablespoon crumbled blue cheese
- Handful of basil leaves, torn
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
Lightly dust a work surface and the dough with flour (just enough to keep the dough from sticking). Flatten the dough with the palm of your hand and carefully knead and stretch until it is about 8 inches in diameter (you can also use a rolling pin, if preferred).
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and transfer the dough to the baking sheet. Spread the pizza sauce around the dough, leaving room for the crust. Top evenly with the cheese and arrange the tomato slices on top.
Place in the oven and bake until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is golden, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before scattering the blue cheese and basil leaves on top.