Gluten-Free Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe
My favorite part of spaghetti carbonara is the generous dose of freshly ground black pepper, said to represent flecks of coal ( the “carbone”) that would drop off Italian miners’ clothes into the pasta while they were making it over a campfire. Actually my favorite-favorite part is that there’s gluten-free spaghetti out there. For a truly authentic version, use guanciale, cured pork jowl, instead of bacon. Flecks of coal are optional.
- ½ pound of bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 pound of Royal Harvest quinoa-corn (or other gluten-free) spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano, grated
- Plenty of coarsely ground black pepper
Heat a medium-sized iron skillet over medium heat and fry the bacon until completely rendered and crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from skillet using a slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels.
Cook spaghetti according to box, drain, and return to pot. Add butter and stir until spaghetti is well-coated. Slowly alternate adding the beaten eggs and grated cheeses, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy. Add bacon and pepper, toss to combine, garnish with a generous sprinkle of Parmigiano-Reggiano and serve immediately.