- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for tomatoes
- 4 large green zebra tomatoes, cut into 3 equal slices, ends discarded
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 8 slices slab bacon, cooked until crisp
- Lettuce, preferably Boston lettuce
- Olive oil, to dress
Lightly salt the tomato slices.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Place the flour on a plate. Mix the breadcrumbs, 2 teaspoons salt, and pepper on a separate plate.
Dip the tomatoes into the flour, making sure to fully coat each slice. Then dip them into the milk and egg mixture. Moving quickly, dredge the tomatoes in the breadcrumbs to completely coat.
Fill a large, deep skillet with approximately ½ inch of oil. Over medium heat, fry the tomatoes until brown, approximately 3-5 minutes per side. Drain the tomatoes on paper towels.
Place 1 slice of the fried tomato on a plate; top with 1 slice of bacon and 1 piece of lettuce. Repeat so that each BLT has 3 tomatoes with a slice of bacon and lettuce in between.
Drizzle a ring of olive oil around the stacked BLT.