Foodinista Mom Shares How to Travel Smart
Nifty iPad app Elizabeth Street is based on travel tips from stylish, in-the-know mothers, so who better to get travel tips from than the editor who helped launch the app?
Heather John Fogarty, former fashion and food editor and now the blogger behind Foodinista, chatted with us about the perks of having a mother’s knowledge and her favorite spots in Los Angeles, her home for more than 10 years.
“Mothers are geniuses at multitasking,” Fogarty told us. “I think the key to traveling successfully with kids is being flexible.” Fogarty suggests researching the areas you’re visiting for a city park or beach to explore, and a kid-friendly dinner spot.
The perks for using Elizabeth Street? "You’re getting insider information on the most stylish spots that appeal both to moms and to kids," she told us. "I love knowing that the best playground in New York is only a stone’s throw from Miller’s Oath — a bespoke menswear shop with exquisite tailoring where I can find a great custom jacket for my husband."
Here, Fogarty shares her top Los Angeles restaurants:
1. Lou on Vine — "Lou’s is a locals-only neighborhood restaurant in Hancock Park with simple bistro fare and a killer wine list. My husband and I sneak out here for an early weeknight dinner and a glass of wine a couple times a month."
2. Tavern — "Elizabeth St. contributor Caroline Styne is co-owner of Tavern in Brentwood, where President Obama dined on his last visit to Los Angeles. It has to be one of the few upscale spots in town that features a kids’ menu and is a family favorite for weekend brunch."
3. Polo Lounge at the Beverly Hills Hotel
3. Polo Lounge at the Beverly Hills Hotel(left, Photo Courtesy of Dorchester Collection) — "Few settings are as old-school glam as sitting outside under the striped awning at the Polo Lounge. This is where I love to escape with girlfriends while our kids are at school for a leisurely gossip, McCarthy salad, and very cold glass of sancerre."
4. Sam’s Bagels — "You can find us at Sam’s on Larchmont most Sunday mornings on our way to the Larchmont Farmers Market. Sam’s makes the best bagels in town — the garlicky pumpernickel is amazing."
5. Hungry Cat — "Date night with my husband always starts with a seafood tower and a Plymouth gin greyhound at Hungry Cat in Hollywood (there’s also a new location in Santa Monica Canyon). From there, we might share a bowl of steamed snow crab legs in mustard sauce or house-made chorizo and braised clams, followed by a movie across the street at ArcLight."
The Daily Byte is a regular column dedicated to covering interesting food news and trends across the country. Click here for previous columns.