Winter’s frigid temperatures, limited sunlight and decreased activity can take a toll on a person’s immune system and energy level. A nutritious diet is one key way to counteract the health challenges winter can bring. Here are five superfoods or supplements that are packed with the nutrition that your body needs to remain healthy through the worst weather and shortest days of winter.
• Pomegranates: High in potent antioxidants, fiber, vitamin C and potassium, Pomegranates are the equivalent of a fist full of supplements and vitamins packed into a single, natural fruit. In Ayurvedic medicine they are believed to counterbalance a diet high in sweet and fatty foods, making them perhaps the perfect superfood to eat after a holiday season of indulgence.
• Cauliflower: This vegetable’s meaty consistency makes it a perfect alternative to starches like mashed potatoes or rice during the cold nights of winter. Cauliflower is high in both Vitamin C and Vitamin K, and has ample folic acid, vitamin B6 and fiber.
• EpiCor: This all-natural dietary ingredient supports both the first and second line of active immune defense by increasing the antibodies known as secretory IgA and boosting the activity of the immune system’s Natural Killer Cells. The all-natural product provides antioxidant power to the body, and is a pre-biotic that may support gut health.
• Brussel Sprouts: A member of the cabbage family, this “cruciferous” vegetable is packed with phytonutrients called glucosinolates, which have been shown to fight cancer. The vegetable’s fiber content is also key to lowering cholesterol. The sprouts also contain vitamin A and C, potassium, folate and iron.
• Kiwi: This fruit that originated in China and was made famous in New Zealand has one of the highest levels of naturally occurring Vitamin C you’ll find. The Kiwifruit is grown in California and ripens in the winter, making it a perfect winter and spring source of Vitamin C, and an alternative to winter fruits that have to be shipped from the Southern Hemisphere.
- IHOP Launched a Pumpkin Pancake Stout With Keegan Ales
- The Absolute Best Thing to Eat in Every State
- These Cities Have the Most Millennials in the US
- 'Shot in the Dark' Is Dunkin' Donuts First-Ever Coffee in a Can
- 18 Indulgent Paleo Recipes