My Eggs in Purgatory is a traditional Italian breakfast or anytime meal. This is a perfect Paleo recipe and also gluten free.
When entertaining just prepare this in a baking dish the night before. In the morning bring up to room temperature, preheat oven and place in the oven for 10 minutes or until hot then add the eggs and bake. No mess No fuss – one pan breakfast! How easy, delicious, healthy and of course Italian!
NOTE: I used 1 sweet chicken and 1 hot chicken sausage
Cooks Note – This is a great way to use leftover sausage but if you want to cook at the same time then saute the cut up sausage in the pan with olive oil – I removed the casings first. Then saute for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a plate, wipe pan down – add more olive oil then follow recipe instructions.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini sliced
- 4 baby belle mushrooms sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4-1/2 Teaspoon Simply Organic red pepper flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried Simply Organic basil
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried Simply Organic oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried Simply Organic parsley
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 14oz canned crushed or diced tomatoes
- 4-6 large eggs
- Grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 sausages - cubed and cooked
- Fresh herbs for garnish
Preheat oven to 375. Add olive oil in an oven proof sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion, zucchini, mushroom and garlic, let cook for 3 minutes. Add red pepper flakes, basil, oregano, parsley, salt, pepper, then add crushed tomatoes and cooked sausage. cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. (it should come to a light boil) Break your eggs into the sauté pan over the sauce. Bake in oven until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny. Scoop out of the pan and onto a plate. Garnish with parmesan cheese and fresh herbs.