Gummy Bears

Brent Hofacker / Shutterstock

Chicago Teens Hospitalized After Eating ‘Laced’ Gummy Bears

Contributor
It’s suspected that the candy contained a liquid-based marijuana substance

More than a dozen students at Naperville North High School in Illinois were hospitalized Dec. 6 after consuming gummy bears laced with a foreign substance.

Fourteen students were transported to Edward Hospital to undergo medical treatment after experiencing symptoms including elevated heart rate, dizziness, and dry mouth, ABC 7 reported.

"Our ER physicians suspect it was marijuana that caused the students' symptoms," Keith Hartenberger, a hospital spokesman, told CNN. "However, confirmation that the substance was marijuana would have to come from the Naperville Police Department -- they were going to do the official testing.”

The high school wrote in a Facebook post that it would “continue to review the specifics of the situation and will address it appropriately.”

It has not been determined whether the students will be punished for the incident. The school has gotten rid of its zero-tolerance policy and instead disciplines students on a case-by-case basis, Chicago Tribune reported.

A 17-year-old student was taken into custody for questioning, but he was released without being charged, according to CNN.

Investigators are also looking into how the gummy bears were distributed.

To read more about marijuana-related deaths, click here.

Related Links
Denver Votes to Allow Use of Marijuana in Restaurants and BarsColorado Now Requires Stamp on All Marijuana ProductsYou Can Now Buy Marijuana-Infused Nutella and Peanut Butter

Around the Web