- 12 ounces elbow macaroni or other small, shaped pasta
- 7/8 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 cup low-fat shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or more to taste
Bring a pot of water to boil over high heat. Add 1/8 teaspoon of the salt. Cook the pasta according to the pasta directions, drain, and return to the pot.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, whisk together the milk, flour, remaining salt, and onion powder until blended. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and whisk in the cheese and hot sauce. Add the sauce to the pasta; toss to mix and coat.