This is one of those vegetarian-friendly meals that even your meat-lover friends will love. Beware, though, as it’s addictive. There’s just no combo like black beans and sweet potatoes… and don’t even get me started with the chipotle and paprika seasoning. This recipe uses toasted tortillas to wrap up all the deliciousness, but the sweet potatoes, beans, and toppings can also be served over rice, quinoa, eggs, or a salad.
½ cup canned black beans, rinsed
½ cup of ½-inch cubes of sweet potato
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil (or, sunflower or almond oil)
¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
1/2 cup goat cheese or queso fresco
2 soft tortillas
Lettuce (iceberg or spinach) & 1/2 avocado to top
Optional: Roasted Tomatillo & Serrano Salsa
1. Chop the lettuce and avocado.
2. Cook the chopped sweet potato in a pan with oil and garlic over medium heat for 3 minutes.
3. Stir black beans into the sweet potatoes, and sprinkle the mixture with chipotle chili powder, paprika, and salt. Cook for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, toast your soft tortillas either in a toaster over or in a pan over medium heat. Toast the first side for 3 minutes, flip, and sprinkle the toasted side with cheese so it melts as the opposite side is toasting.
5. Remove the cheesy tortillas and place on a plate. Scoop up some of the black beans and sweet potatoes to fill your taco, and add lettuce, avocado, cilantro, and Roasted Tomatillo and Serrano Salsa to top off.