When it comes to easy chicken recipes, puttanesca pasta is a perfect choice. This rustic dish can be pulled together in just 30 minutes — perfect after a long day. For an extra flavor boost, add a few tablespoons of clam juice to the sauce before simmering.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3-4 anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- One 28-ounce can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2-3 medium-sized boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces rotini, or other short, cut pasta
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, about 6-7 minutes. Then, add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 2 more minutes. Add the anchovies and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, olives, and capers and simmer.
Heat the remaining oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Sauté until no longer pink, about 3-4 minutes, then add to the simmering sauce.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Cook the pasta to desired doneness and drain. Add the pasta to the sauce and toss to coat. Remove from heat and garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired.