- 1 bunch broccoli, florets removed and saved for garnish
- 1/2 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup cubed prosciutto
- 4 Cups chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Pumpernickel breadcrumbs, for garnish
- Shredded Cheddar cheese, for garnish
Trim the broccoli by removing the florets, trim to bite-size pieces, peel and dice stalk. Blanch for 30 seconds or until tender and place in ice water.
In a small sauté pan, cook the prosciutto in the olive oil until nicely browned and remove from pan. Leaving the olive oil in the pan, sauté the onions, garlic, salt, and the broccoli stems on low heat until tender; do not brown. Add the chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
Carefully place the vegetable and chicken stock mixture into a blender or food processor and purée. Pour into a bowl and garnish with the cheese, florets, prosciutto, sour cream, and the breadcrumbs.