- 15 shallots
- 4 garlic bulbs
- 1 tablespoon "tau cheo" (yellow bean paste, which can be found at Asian specialty stores)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2.2 pounds pork belly, cut into 4–5 cube sized portions
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2–3 sliced French loaves
- 3 red chilies (bird's eye chilies)*
- 3 green chilies (bird's eyes, but green in color)
Blend the shallots and garlic till a smooth consistency.
Fry over medium heat till fragrant, add in the tau cheo and the coriander powder and stir fry for 1 minute, then add in the pork and stir fry for another 1 minute.
Add the water, sugar, salt and dark soy sauce and simmer at low heat for 1 ½–2 hours till the pork is tender. Serve with red and green bird’s eye chilies as garnish and French loaves.